Friday 22 June 2007

I'm too old for this!


I'm absolutely knackered - don't know how I'll manage to get through the day.

It all started the fateful evening of Wednesday. I went out in London and manged to miss my last train. I NEVER do that! I ended up crashing on a mate's 2-seater couch. I was up at 6 Thursday morning to get a tube to Victoria and then a train to my local train station to pick up my car (took a quick shower - in and out of my flat in 15 minutes - how impressive is that!) and drove to work. In my mind I thought I had learned my lesson and I wouldn't have this happen again.

WRONG! Last night I was back in the city to meet a different friend (I know - it's impressive that I have 2 friends). Said mate had a gig to play at 10:15. Last train is at 11:48. I think to myself - I'll be ok. I'll leave straight after gig and get to train station, no problems. Gig ran late. Mate didn't play until 10:45. Left straight after gig. Delays on tube. Tube terminated a stop before I needed to get off. I didn't make it to train station until 8 minutes after my train had ended. Looked for another train in my direction - it wasn't for another 30 minutes. Looked for a night bus. There wasn't one to my area of London. My mobile phone battery was dead so I couldn't call the TFL* to find a way home. Asked a taxi how much it would be to take me home - £24 was the estimation. I would have paid cause I was tired and wanted bed. There was a queue of 20 people ish. I figured it wasn't worth it. I ended up getting a train to Anerly**, catching a night bus to Crystal Palace** and then walking to Gypsy Hill** - this was quite daunting experience at 1:30 in the morning. Got home and in bed around 2. So very tired now!!!

Now want to keel over with exhaustion!


*TFL = Transport for London - they're ace. You call and say how do I get from A to B and they tell you. Very handy phone number to have!

** I normally use Crystal Palace Train Station. Gypsy Hill is a stop closer to London on the same line - this is where I parked my car yesterday. Anerly is on a different train line and a stop after Crystal Palace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen, sigh. Reading about the transportation obstacles you faced exhausted me!

karen said...

What do you think they do to me?! :)