Tuesday 8 April 2008

Day 4 - Museums, museums, museums!

As you might have guessed Friday (Day 4) was the day for visiting museums.

FOLK MUSEUM
The Folk Museum was our first stop. This had an "open air" part where they had reconstructed houses / building from different periods. I was quite impressed with it all, very scenic.

You reckon grass roofs should make a come back?
Cate's found a new home
I quite liked that you could look inside and there weren't massive barriers around the buildings like you get at so many places these days.
The doors were ever so peculiar - very small.
They were a good few feet off the ground so you had to step into them and duck as you went in cause they were short too. I wonder why.
You could tell they put a lot of thought into the set up of this "town" as there were even barns and fields as you might have had in the day.
As you walked through the open air Folk Museum, the building changed as time progressed. The doors still remained small though. (This is me)

I'm not sure what caught my attention here (actually I think there were some hotties walking by),

See how the buildings changed. The road even changed from dirt to cobble stone.
We went to a few of the in door displays at the Folk Museum, but the place was massive! Not sure what I was exploring in this picture, perhaps the mode of transport?
There was a section that had a massive doll collection. This picture is mostly for my mother. I thought of her (she has a pretty large doll collection from around the world).
In the same building where the dolls were there was an area that children (some big kids too) could draw a picture and pin it to a noticeboard. Cate pointed out this poster to me. Too funny (and true!) For the record, no I didn't have anything to do with this.

VIKING SHIP MUSEUM
The next stop was the Viking Ship Museum. The ships were impressive and big, but it really made you wonder how they were taken on such long trips, there was barely any cover / comfort.
What is quite neat about these ships is that they are authentic, not reconstructed replicas.

There was a flight of stairs up to a viewing platform so you could see the inside of the ship.
There were little displays of things that were found with these ships. One was of a horse drawn buggy. I was intrigued by this wheel and how it's segmented.
THE FRAM
Next it was off to the Fram. The Fram was a polar expedition ship from the turn of the century (I think that's the time period). The actual ship was in a building and you could go on board and explore parts of the ship.
I obviously need more practice with the self portrait taking, but at least I got the name of the boat, Cate and most of me in it.
How do you steer this thing? Of course we had to take a few Titanic posed photos.
"I'm the King of the world!" I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be the cook with this small, basic kitchen!
My cheesey smile returns.Look at how long my hair is getting - sheesh!
You'd think after all the pictures I'd taken of Catherine one more wouldn't scare her this much!
A sample of one of the bedrooms (more like cupboards) that the men slept in. The beds were SO small, they couldn't have been much more than 5 foot tall to have fit in them.
A bit of entertainment was on board for those long cold nights
The museum had some rather life like polar animals
I couldn't leave without petting the polar bears!
KON-TIKI MUSEUM
I posted pictures of a few signs from this museum. Basically there was a guy that wanted to prove that people could have migrated between countries and continents way back in the day so he rebuilt boats of that time and proved you could cross the ocean in them. I've also included pictures of the routes they took. Read up.





NOBEL PEACE CENTRE
Did you know the Nobel Peace Prize was given out each year in Oslo, Norway? I didn't. This is the Nobel Peace Centre (obviously you gather that by the title, eh?) which is a sort of museum for the Nobel Peace Prize and it's winners. Across the street is the Place where they give the prize out, but I forgot to get a picture of it. Oddly enough that building has been voted the prettiest and the ugliest building in Norway (at different times obviously).

There was this pretty cool "digital garden" ... but the sign will tell you what it is:


And that was our last museum. I don't know about Cate, but by this time I was museumed out! There was a bit of traveling between all the different museums including a boat ride (and I didn't get a picture ... I'm slacking here!) but it was a good day. We finished with the Nobel Peace Centre around 3pm and there was a boat tour of the Fjord starting. We debating on whether we should go or not (the weather was pretty miserable) but in the end the decision was this: If we don't go, what are we going to do with the next 2 hours? So... we went.
And Cate was REALLY happy about the decision (apparently)
Do you rememebr the Fort we visited on Day 1? This is it from the water. I sent a few postcards with this on the front and I commented on not knowing what the postcard was a picture was of. Now I do - and so do you! :-)
(Okay, don't get your feelings hurt if you didn't get a postcard, it cost a flipping fortune to send them and I've never been good with sending them. I think only a couple family members got them.)
The weather was horrible as mentioned so the picture's not great, but these "bathing houses" we too funny not to talk about. I beleive it was around the turn of the century when they came about. The were built for people to come down from their house and swim in the Fyjord. At that time you weren't allowed to be seen in a swimming costume (swimming suit) so you would go to your bathing house, change into your swimming costume and shimmy down a ladder into the water. And it doesn't end there. You didn't go into the water and swim with the general population - there were fences up around you so that no one would see you! How funny is that. These bathing houses are now just used as an extra living room from what I can gather.
Our tour guide handing Cate a cuppa tea. It was cold and rainy and the first day of the tours for the season and the electrics cut out so we were without warm tea for a good hour. We were very thankful once they sorted us out!!!
We were exhausted by the time we got back, in fact I started to fall asleep on the boat until Cate nudged me awake, but the night was young and it was our last night in Oslo - so we needed to make the most of it. SO we went to watch a movie! We ended up seeign PS I Love You. What a good movie!!! I highly recommend it! And Gerard Butler is such a hottie with his Irish accent!

Then it was back to the hostel to pack for the trip home the next day.

1 comments:

martha crockett said...

Does Cate hire out as a tour guide? Looks like ya'll had a fabulous trip! Thanks for letting us travel along.