Tuesday 1 April 2008

Norway

I'm here!
Well, we're here! We (my friend Cate who I came with) and I left my flat at 3am this morning. After some scary moments with my car (my foot was down to the floor on the motorway and I was loosing speed ... my poor car has something seriously wrong with it I fear!) we got to the airport around 4:30. Flight was at 6:25. We got diverted because of fog from our final destination, Oslo Torp, to Oslo. Oslo Torp is a smaller airfield about 2 hours outside Oslo. Oslo Airport is only 20 to 30 minutes away. Bonus for us. We arrived around 10:00 and were on the train to Oslo for 11.

Today we went Akershus Fortress / Castle. Lots of walking for us tired folk. After a bit of sightseeing and shopping (of course) we came to check into the hostel. This is the first time I'm in a hostel. IƦll let you know how I find it. We're staying in a dorm room that sleeps 6. 6 women, 1 bathroom - could be interesting.
This might have been a cheap flight, but do you know how flipping expensive this place is?! Sheesh!!! If you ever thought Britian was expensive, I suggest coming to Norway. Outrageously expensive. SO much for a cheap holiday. A pizza pie* and 2 drinks cost us 600NOK => £30 => $60. Seriously?! I guess we need to find where we can make a packet of Super Noodles!!!
*this was a new experience, for which I of course have pictures for you once I get home

2 comments:

martha crockett said...

Aren't you the cosmopolitan--jetting to Norway for a few days......
Hope you came home to a nice dry bed and non-leaking ceiling!
Thanks for the update. I was getting antsy to hear what you were up to!

martha crockett said...

Are you familiar with the Paddington station area? I'm looking for a hotel in that vicinity. You would be my resource in London!
You can e-mail if you prefer:
bonvoyage@suddenlink.net