Friday 27 March 2009

Mothering Sunday

Mother's day in England is on different days and in different months to America. Since being in England I have always celebrated my mother on both days - why not, she's definitely worth 2 celebrations each year! I generally send flowers to my mother on the English Mother's Day, Mothering Sunday, as in my mind it's more of a surprise to her than receiving them on American Mother's Day. Don't go thinking I just call a florist and order some flowers to be delivered....no no no. Thought goes into it every year. My mother is special and lovely and deserves thoughtfulness. One year I had calla lilies delivered in a long stem flower box (because I always thought it'd be neat to receive flowers like that, one year I had a corsage delivered so she could be special and celebrated on a day that everyone else wasn't being celebrated. last year I had 27 tulips delivered: one for each year she'd been my mother - there's always a thought behind my deliveries.

In England Mothering Sunday is in March, and the last few years Mom has known and not been as surprised by her delivery of flowers as she "knew Mothering Sunday was coming up soon". I guess with the move to Kansas and the hectic life my mother currently has, she forgot all about Mothering Sunday so the flower delivery last Saturday surprised her - success!

The "theme" this year was Texas meets Kansas with the card reading
The sunflower state got even brighter with the addition of my Texas bell mother!
Happy Mothering Sunday. With love

I had originally wanted to have Bluebonnets and Sunflowers in an arrangement (the 2 state flowers) but bluebonnets aren't florist flowers so that was thrown out the window. The florist I'd found in Kansas suggested a bright blue flower called a delphinium that she'd used in the past. In my mind the florist was going to do an arrangement of just the two flowers, not an arrangement that would generally suit my mom's taste - or mine for that matter, but it was the reason behind it that I liked. The arrangement was quite different to how I envisioned it, but it definitely had a Texas country feel to it!

Love you Mom! I really am a lucky person to have you for my mum!

Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw...and how fortunate for me to have you as a daughter

I love you, Mom