Monday 16 March 2009

St Patty's Day Festivities

Sunday after church I headed to Trafalgar Square to meet up with some friends and celebrate St Patrick's Day. Getting to Trafalgar Square was an adventure in itself: 2 closed train stations, a closed tube station, a bus, an open tube station later and 2 hours later I made it to the square ... only to be lost in a sea of green (lots of people and lots of people wearing green!) I somehow managed to meet up with Kelli (friend from work) and Bruce (her flatmate) as they arrived about the same time as me and we 3 headed to find Cate (Kelli & Bruce's flatmate and another of my work friends). Before we managed to find Cate, we met up with Meghan (my flatmate) so we 4 headed into the bigger mass of green to find Cate. Cate's instructions (to find her in a sea of a million or so) "we're in between the two fountains - look for a lot of green hats". Seriously? The place was heaving with big green hats. Turns out, with a bit of good fortune (the luck of the Irish you might say), that I picked a big green hat and made my way to it - and it was Cate, score!!!

Meghan and I (notice my green ... I didn't have any Irish green, so lime green had to do. Also notice it's sleeveless - the weather was superb!!)


Cate Spent a lot of time like this. I don't know why it was so very amusing, but it was. Just as soon as she'd sort her hat out, someone would push it back over her head. Possibly the fact that she usually had both hands full and couldn't push her hat back up added to the amusement. Hours of fun, never got old (well maybe it got old for Cate).

Cate, face showing, and I


Some of the sea of people that were out.



One of the bands that was playing. Cate did well with picking a good spot for the festivities - right in front of the stage


Guy in red is Ian? Can't remember his name but it's Cate's boyfriend's brother. Then Bruce, crazy man in a funky but cool Irish coloured jester hat and Kelli.

The second to last band was a Irish folk band and tried to get the audience to do some Irish gigs. We happily participated but didn't have a clue what we were doing. There was around a group of 20-25 of us (with Cate's friends and their friends and her brothers and her brothers friends, etc) and somehow ended up being the centre of attention and fun. It turned into one of those scenes from the movie where the crowd parts and makes a circle for people to dance in, So much fun! (But I was too busy dancing and making a fool out of myself to take any pictures, I think Meghan got a few, I'll try to nick some off her and post later.) Have a Happy St Patty's Day tomorrow!

Jamie (Cate's brothers' friend I think) Alan (my folk dancing partner & another friend of Cate's brothers) and me


Get Your Own Free Hypster.com Playlist.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally a new entry! Sorry, I wasn't on the computer until now, doning my green blazer ;D Enjoying your festive post.Kinsey got his wisdom teeth pulled Monday and my sinuses are killing me.Spring is in the air (and in my head). Dad and I are cooking corned beef and cabbage!

Love you!
Mom

Scott and Cheryl said...

Mom, that just makes me want to puke thinking about what your kitchen must smell like with corned beef and cabbage cooking!

Karen, it was a very festive post. You must have a very good personal jewelry shopper. She makes good choices for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Failed to mention you really looked good on Sunday Karen (and it wasn't just the jewelery).

Mom

Anonymous said...

1) You have stolen my photo from last year!
2) My messge was far more specific than that, and I quote: "Look for green hats, ginger beards and a tall man in a red t-shirt" - fool proof :)