Tuesday 11 December 2007

My Weekend Antics

Thursday I met up with Hayley and went to the see the Christmas lights switched on at Trafalgar Square. It was raining, windy and cold. We went. We waited. We saw. We left. And then went looking for food. We walked past The Texas Embassy a (very) touristy Tex-Mex res truant. I remember seeing it from the tour bus while my family was visiting a few years ago. It was, well, the main course wasn't as good as the starter, but it was the best Tex-Mex I've had in Britain. Most Mexican restaurants have very non-Mexican food ... since when is char-grilled Shark Mexican food?
L to R: The Sq before the lights were switched on (check out all the umbrellas out in the bottom of the pic); Tree after lights on; Me and the tree (with my brolly); The Texas Embassy


Friday night I couldn't be bothered to do anything so I went home and crashed on the couch. I couldn't decide if I was tired enough for bed, so I made the mistake of deciding to watch "1" episode of Heroes before bed (this was at 11pm). 5 episodes later I went to bed around 4. Heroes is SO addicting! I figured it wasn't that big of deal as I could sleep in on Saturday. Which I did, but only till 10:30. As I was going out Saturday night, I decided on taking a couple hours nap. Around 8pm I went to a house party in south London for a few hours and then around 11pm headed to Camden (north London) to celebrate 2 friends birthday - I accidentally said yes to 2 people about going out. I would normally make my apologies to the second booking, but as it was 2 mates birthdays, I went to both. I forgot to take pictures at the house party, but I had a really good time. I love Christmas parties!
I met the 2 Marys (the 2 birthday girls) at a pub and we left went they closed (I'm assuming this was 2am-ish). As I drove, I'd been drinking a lot of coke by this time and wasn't feeling the hour. We headed back to Mary H's flat via a friends house to pick up his guitar. The partying continued at Mary's flat until 7:30am. Yawn. I was back up at 10:00 on Sunday - ouch! Everyone emerged from the flat for some sustenance around 1. We all headed for the high street and had a greasy fry-up ... just what the doctor ordered (although it tasted superb, my stomach spent several hours recovering from it.) Mary H was on the search for slippers so we did a bit of shopping. I bought my Christmas tree* while we were out. It's not the best of trees, but it's real and it smells good. Paul, Mary H's brother, was kind enough to carry it all the way back to my car! Loving him! I bought the tree while Mary H was in the grocery store and as it was cold, wet and windy (surprise surprise) Paul, Elizabeth and I headed back to the flat. We arrived quite a bit before Mary H (and the keys) got back so we sat in the car. As the tree was in my backseat, Elizabeth and Paul shared the front seat - comfy!


Between 4 and 5am Dave whiled us with his guitar playing skills (how much did Mary H's neighbours love us!). There's 6 clips here (I couldn't choose): 1 - A good ole sing along; 2 - Hallelujah; 3 - I asked for a "good ole Irish gig", this is what I got, pure class! 4 - Jack decided to chime in ... such talent; 5 - Fairytale in New York, classic Irish Christmas tune; 6 - With or without you
I crashed on the couch not long after I got home (much to my efforts of trying not to take a nap) and woke up around 8 ... and couldn't get back to sleep until 1am. Needless to say Monday I was feeling much too old for weekends like I had! Monday I went home and crashed on the couch again! I must stop this nap thing! It's SO not good for insomniacs! And now it's Tuesday. I was pottering about at work until 7 and then headed home - in the cold, wet and wind.

*I usually get my Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I was away that weekend and didn't manage it. This is the first year I didn't get a Christmas tree that weekend. Oh dear.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was entertaining, thanks for sharing.

Mom