Friday 18 April 2008

April showers?

Two weekends ago my back garden was covered in snow, last weekend it was pelted with hail!

(Hail is pretty hard to capture on camera - have you ever tried?) I got pelted trying to get a picture for my blog - see how dedicated I am to you?!

Sunday was the London Marathon. This is my second year to go down and cheer on the runners. My throat was pretty sore by the end of it. Must remember to buy noise makers next year! This year I thought to myself, I should run the marathon just to prove I could. 26 miles? I'd have to start training now. I'm sure the feeling that I should / could do this will pass. On the off chance that I do run ... are my blog readers going to come to London and cheer me on?

I was at mile 9 this year. It was quite manic when I arrived. Most of the people who finished around the 3 1/2 mile mark were running by as I arrived.

The sun was shining when I left. I was even hot in my long selves. Then it turned cold. Very cold. And very wet! :-( It's always fun to see what people wear to run 26 miles!
A 3 stone (42lbs) nurse's custom anyone?

There were several rhino's this year (I saw these last year as well. I wonder if there is a charity with a rhino as a logo that they run for.
This guy was pretty funny looking as well. Not as much fun as the guy who ran past in a thong, but I didn't have my camera out for that guy. Notice his name, Andy, painted on his chest? Most of the runners will write their name on their clothes so you can encourage them by screaming out their names. "Come on Andy, you can do it!"
A few Mr Men ran as well.

I meant Ann and Kelli at the marathon this year. Ann lives right by mile 9 of the marathon and fixed us a yummy lunch and provided a warm cup of tea afterwards. Thanks Ann, it hit the spot!

Kelli and I headed from east London (mile 9 of marathon) to Wembley (north north London) because a friend / colleague was playing football at Wembley Stadium - home of English football. (For those that don't know, getting to play football at Wembley is pinnacle of any footballer's career - a little boy's dream come true. A once in a life time opportunity for the amateurs.) We were told that we could buy tickets on the door by our friend, but apparently there was some miscommunication within the football teams and stadium. When we arrived, we were told that we couldn't buy tickets on the door because they were sold out, only to find out that there were loads of allocated seats for my mate's team that were empty. Someone's family had even traveled over 6 hours to watch the game and were turned away.
Oh well, we came, we saw the Wembley arch. We left.
Kelli and I met up with Adam (from work) and his mrs, Anna
As my Wembley plans didn't work out, I crashed my flatmate's lunch plans. Lindsay was having lunch with her boyfriend, Adam, sister, Carla, and Adam's friend, Christian.
Lindsay and Carla

Christian and Adam Adam, myself and Linds on the way home. I'm getting better at self portraits, eh?! Oh wait, I didn't this one, Lindsy did. Poo!

0 comments: