Saturday 11 October 2008

Oxford Street on a Saturday Afternoon - what a mistake!

My iPhone has been playing up for a few weeks - when I get a text message it doesn't always "dwiddle" (ie make a noise). BEFORE you ask, yes I checked to make sure the volume was on and the settings were set to "dwiddle". As I had a Saturday free from any other plans, I decided to book an appointment with at the "Genius Bar" in the Apple shop. This plan was meant to be (pardon the pun) but genius in itself: Part 1 - I get my phone sorted; Part 2 - I'm in the city and I can meet a friend for lunch; Part 3 - I need to buy a top to wear to an American football game, suitable for reuniting with people from my high school that I haven't seen in 10 years (ie I need to find something to wear to my reunion). My genius plan failed to take into account that Oxford street is swarming with tourists and shoppers on any given day, Saturday afternoon being the worst of the worst! It is actually quite amazing to watch it (it being the masses of people of all different walks of life), but close to what my version of hell would be. I am NOT a fan of crowds! They are SO very frustrating.
I did go to the genius bar, and they sorted out my iPhone, well by sorted I mean they replaced it with a new handset. This meant that for the rest of the day I had no-one's phone number so I couldn't call anyone, sniff sniff! It also meant that as I was walking through the crowds and on the train ride home I had no music to listen to. Hard times! It also meant that I lost a week's worth of text messages and a few other things on my phone. Why you ask? The last time I plugged my iPhone into the computer (which sync's the iPhone and more importantly backs up the iPhone) was on 2 October. There were a few text messages that I am really sad to have lost, but I'll live, and I have learned the importance of regular backups - especially before a visit to the genius bar!!!
IPhone sorted I met up with Hayley and we went for lunch. We found a random "old man's" pub that was a great find! My mother would be very jealous of my lunch - Carrot, parsnip, onion and some other vegetable sausages and mash: a healthier option to the English classic of bangers (sausages) and mash (mash potatoes). Hayley kindly (I mean kindly with utmost sincerity) listened to me babble on about my life's goings on. I truly monopolised the conversation today. (No snide comments needed about this not being surprising, usually I am an equal chatter and listener.... at least I think I am.)

Hayley and I left the pub in search of a coffee shop for a relaxing cuppa, but the area of London we were in was absolutely heaving with people which makes everything stressful. So we opted not to stand in a queue of 20 minutes just for a coffee. Instead Hayley once again pulled out the trademarks of a truly great friend and agreed to help me search for something to wear to the football game. A fruitless adventure in the end, but it was good to have Hayley's helpful advise and fashion sense.

I guess even fruitless shopping is fun with a friend by your side (oh dear - how cheesy did that sound!)


I don't know that Hayley will approve of me posting this picture, but this is just such a genuine smile and I love it!


The sun was out, the weather was lovely, and even with the stresses that I let the crowds give me today, it was a good day. I had a smile plastered to my face for the majority of it. We like days like this!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it's too late now - ha ha ha!!!