Sunday 9 November 2008

A Cambridge Tutorial

So when you think of Cambridge, you think of what?

Cambridge University, of course - me too. This is King's Chapel, the chapel for Kings College, part of Cambridge University


So other than having a prestigious university, all I knew was Cambridge was probably in the countryside and full of amazing architecture. This weekend, my friend Matt and I took a train to Cambridge to get out of the city. Matt, being a history buff and all around good source of knowledge, knew quite a bit about Cambridge and showed me the sights.

Cambridge is on the river Cams and apparently is well known for punting.

You can hire out boats and punt yourself or go on a guided boat. Matt had booked us on a "ghost tour" Saturday early evening (it's dark here by 5 - how rubbish is that?!). Now for those of you who know me at all, you must be wondering why I agreed to go on this ghost tour. I'm wondering this too. I am the BIGGEST scaredy cat in the world, it takes very little to make me jump out of my skin. So why would I go on a tour that was meant to scare me? Thankfully the ghost tour wasn't spooky or scary to me; it was more informative about stories of Cambridge University and Cambridge town. This sceptic has been proven wrong - it was a really good tour. Good call Matt!

After the punting ghost tour, the tour continued around the city centre where we past this rather unusual & grossly expensive clock. Apparently it's a rather new addition to Cambridge and no one seemed to know the complete story on why it was built and put up ... but it is rather unusual, no?

The Eagle Pub was the last stop on the tour. Amongst some ghost stories, the pub has quite a history to it. I especially liked the ceiling in the back room that Airmen would sign during the world wars before going off to fight.

I was flabbergasted with the number of bikes that were in Cambridge. This is the scene outside the train station. Have you ever scene this many bikes in one place?!
Matt & I outside the train station

0 comments: