Thursday 13 November 2008

I've been robbed!


I’ve been robbed I say, cheated, foiled! Bar my 2 week holiday in the States, I’ve been “detoxing” since mid-August (click here & here for my previous blog entries re: detoxing). I was feeling a bit sluggish and generally rubbish, so I thought I’d give myself a got kick start with a 28 day detox, which turned into more of a semi-permanent thing (as I’m still “detoxing” 3 months later). During my 2 week holiday stateside I ate SO much crap, I mean serious crap – and I felt worse for wear. I know jet lag played a bit of a part to it, but I was tired all the time, had no energy for anything and just didn’t feel right. (Don’t get me wrong here – I enjoyed every bite of the crappy, un-nourishing food, just didn’t enjoy the after effects.) Since coming back home I’m back eating my 5-a-day and eating healthy again, and I certainly notice a big difference!
Back to why I feel robbed. Part of the detox is to not have caffeine. This is a biggy for me. Several times I have gotten myself addicted to coke (the coca cola type). And when I realise my addiction gets out of control and I can’t function without a coke, I have to give it up (this was one of the reasons I started the detox in August). So mid-August I gave up coke and normal tea and all caffeine as I knew it. Sigh. How I missed my tea in the morning. After a few weeks I started buying herbal teas, drinking them occasionally and gradually I started to enjoy them. Green tea became my tea of choice. Lots of people drink green tea when they detox – something about it having antioxidants or something? So for the past three months I have been walking around proud of myself for not having any caffeine – not even to get through my excruciatingly long journeys to the States, not to help get through jet lag – nope, no caffeine. Sigh. I googled green tea today. It has caffeine in it. Sob. I’ve been robbed. I’m so gutted! All this time I could have been drinking my lovely morning tea and drinking Coca Cola which I love so dearly! But NO, I wanted to be good and not have caffeine. I’m so disappointed. Sigh.
I guess the only saving grace that I can comfort myself with is that green tea has less caffeine than normal tea, coke and coffee:
“..Green tea is generally brewed with water below the boiling point for 2-4 minutes. Less caffeine comes out of the leaves in the brewing process than from roasted tea. The content varies based on it's type and preparation. Sources quote anywhere from 3 to 30 mg of caffeine in a cup of green tea. Regular tea contains between 30 and 60 mg. A can of Coke contains 34 mg. Instant coffee contains between 65 and 100 mg. Drip filtered coffee can contain up to 200 mg.”

0 comments: