Friday 14 November 2008

OUCH!


Know your limits. This is what I need to work on learning – my limits! In the two weeks since getting back from the States I’ve done a total of a 25 minute workout session. While in the States I did an hour work out twice a week. Before going to the States I was generally working out 3 times a week, sometimes only managing twice a week. So it’s been on my mind that I need to get my routine back – must work out. But I HATE working out!!! While “planning” my week, I knew that I would be out on Monday and Wednesday and Friday and Claude was coming over to fix my computer Tuesday. On Thursdays there is a “keep fit” class offered to the staff at the school where I work. Ok, “this is good” I tell myself. I can go to Keep Fit Thursday and I’ll try to work out before Claude arrives Tuesday.
Monday after Cate left I decided to “put a few things away”. This turned into a 4 hour clean / organise the flat session, putting me in bed near 2am. Tuesday I was beyond knackered, but with some encouragement from a friend I managed to gear up for a workout. But I decided to do a new workout routine (one of Davina's DVDs - pictured above). Why?! Let’s use muscles that aren’t used to being worked Karen – yes that’s a good idea! (Just in case you didn’t catch it – that statement is dripping in sarcasm!) With Claude coming round after my workout, I managed another late night on Tuesday. I expected to be really sore Wednesday, which I was, but I didn’t feel like my abs and arms got a work out. I had a pretty early return home Wednesday from my girlie night out (getting in a 9:30pm) and decided it would be an excellent time to work out my abs and arms. Am I insane?! Yes is the answer. By the time I’d finished my hour workout, managed to recompose and take a bath and get into bed it was well past midnight, so yet another late night. Yesterday my calves were KILLING me – they were so tight and bothersome. For some reason only known to God, I decided I’d still do Keep Fit. Eugene, the personal trainer that leads keep fit, varies what he has us do depending on who and how many are there. Yesterday only two of us turned up and we got worked out. Sheesh! There was a lot of abs (I’d just done a work out specifically for my abs, ouch!) and boxing (in which I managed to box some of the skin off my knuckles) and kick boxing and weights (my arms were shaking with pain). Here’s a bigger problem than working out three days running – I don’t do it half hearted. I probably would have on Thursday, but Eugene got the boxing gloves out. I can’t help but give it my all – I hold nothing back when I can impact my punch onto the gloves. If he’d just left the gloves in the storage cupboard I’d been able to give a half-hearted effort yesterday. Today I curse his name! Ouch!
Oh how sore I am today! I ache from my left elbow to my neck to my right elbow all the way to my ankles. Sniff sniff. I feel sorry for myself and the pain I caused myself with lack of sleep and new workouts. When will I learn my limitations I ask?!
Well, at least I got my 3 works outs for the week done … now for a quiet, uneventful, relaxing weekend. (Anyone else sceptical that I can pull of an uneventful weekend? Trouble tends to follow me around! :-)

4 comments:

martha crockett said...

Good for you! Just know it will get easier the more you exercise. And the final results will make it all worth it!
You seriously need to get more rest, tho. Do I sound like your mother????
You take care of your OCD self!

Anonymous said...

I can laugh at you...but let's don't talk about exercise!! Ouch is all I can think of!! As for Martha's comment, I can only say it's easy for skinny-minnies like her, but gobby girls like me have a harder time of it!! I will look forward to the time when it starts to pay off...and I know you will too. Whew!! It's hard work!
Love you, Sherry/YaYa

karen said...

People say it gets easier the more you do it, but they lie! Becaus ethe more you exercise the fitter you get so the more effort you give to the work out and you still end up just as knackered and sore! I agree with Sherry :-)

(I'm only joking (kind of) I know it's good for me, and I do enjoy the benefits for being fiter and healthier)

Anonymous said...

this is old, Karen. What's happening NOW?????
Love you, want to hear what's new!!
Sherry