Sunday 16 November 2008

What am I doing to myself?

A quiet and uneventful weekend - well I half pulled it off. That's pretty good for me. My days were quiet and lazy, but my evenings were late. Very late. Too late for this old gal! I'm 28 now - no spring chicken!!!

Friday night a friend came over and I introduced them to Mexican Hats, a favourite Tex-Mex dish from my childhood. Mexican Hats are a "build your own" Mexican salad: you start with crushed up tortilla chips (in the States you would use Fritos, but we don't have those here so I have to improvise) then mince meat (ground beef for you American readers) then seasoned pinto beans (Stateside you could use Ranch style beans, but once again England fails to supply those for me), then lettuce, tomato, onion, olives, cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Yum yum!!!! Then to top off our overly filled tummies, I had bought lemon cheesecake and made a rather yummy raspberry sauce. This raspberry sauce, as delicious as it turned out, will not be made by me again - do you know how time consuming and ridiculous it is to make a raspberry sauce and get the seeds out? Sheesh!!! Friday night saw me in one of my sarcastic, childish moods in which nothing was off-limits, so watching a James Bond movie from the 70s was a bit too much for me. I don't think my friend will ever watch a dvd with me again - I couldn't shut up and leave the movie alone - everything was worthy of being made fun of. Oh dear. If you know me, it comes as no surprise that I couldn't shut up and it would also come as no surprise to hear that we were chatting til around 4 in the morning when finally tiredness hit and it was time for me to head to bed!

Saturday I was awake at 8am - what's with my inner alarm clock, I used to be able to sleep til 3 in the afternoon! How I miss those days. Only having around 4 hours of sleep I was pretty useless on Saturday and ended up having one of my lazy pj days (you know - a day that you stay in your pjs all day) in which I took a little nap. My nap geared me up to have enough for Helen's housewarming party I went to on Saturday night. (Helen used to work at the school where I work ... until she moved "up London" and the commute was just too much.) Meghan (another friend from work) came over to mine and I drove to Helen's. I would typically take public transport in London, but it took around 50 minutes to drive and would have been near enough 2 hours by public transport - go figure! Helen's house is loverly and her housemates are so sweet. It was a really good night ... but another stoncher that didn't get me in bed till 3:30 in the morning!


Me, Meghan & Helen


Meghan got really excited about me driving over London Bridge when we came home, "I've never been on London Bridge before!" She did get slightly disappointed to realise it was actually Tower Bridge (not London Bridge) that she wanted to see / go on - this is a very common mistake made about London Bridge. Luckily there is a beautiful view of Tower Bridge from London Bridge, and lucky for Meghan that she was with a crazy American who decided it was okay to park on the side of the road on London Bridge, jump the pedestrian barriers and take a picture of her momentous occasion. It was 2:30 am, so there wasn't much traffic around!

Sunday morning I was up bright and early again, this time awoken by a text message. Rubbish! I saw Meghan and pretty much had a lazy Sunday afternoon, deciding on a nice chic-flick for the afternoon. I had forgotten how good Nottinghill was - what a great film! I didn't get to bed until around midnight which meant Monday was SUPER hard going! I was SOOO tired! One day I'll learn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have seized that photo opportunity on the bridge too (granted there was no traffic)!
This Mom would have loved it if you were standing there in the photo with a famous London landmark.

So glad you've posted a new entry.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

It's about time!!! Remember this when you are having one of those lady PJ days: "Oh, what am I thinking?! I coulda posted on my blog so my friends wouldn't think I died!"
Thank you very much, and so appropriate that I can THANK you here on THANKSGIVING EVE!!
Love you,
Sherry/YaYa