Saturday 30 May 2009

Colonial WIlliamsburg

We travelled out to Colonial Williamsburg earlier today.

"Colonial Williamsburg is the historic district of the independent city of Williamsburg, Virginia. It consists of many of the buildings that, from 1699 to 1780, formed colonial Virginia's capital... The Historic Area is meant to be an interpretation of a Colonial American city, with exhibits including dozens of authentic or accurately recreated colonial houses and relating to American Revolutionary War history. The 301-acre Historic Area was founded in 1693. " taken from wikipedia.

Nana and Papa outside the visitor's Centre (I like how my grandmother keeps my grandfather in check - she's beating him up in the picture! Good memories!)

The three of us




Walking to lunch



Waiting for a table at the Inn (love this picture of the two of them!)

The Inn where we had lunch. Papa wanted to go to this Inn as it's where my parents ate when they visited a few years back.


A tour guide of the Getty's house. (A wealthy middle class working family's home)


Inside the church







A fence


I was intrigued by how they layed the stones and anchored them to each other.


Inside the Governor's Palace













Nana & Papa with a very knowledgeable tour guide

Outside the back of the palace
Outside the front of the palace

It had started to rain, Nana was showing off her face protector on her rain bonnet, I was amused!
I tried on a few hats to get in the Colonial spirit
When we got home, I had to try on my grandfather's cowboy hat. I am from Texas after all!

I was extremely perplexed by the extreme curliness to my hair. It was seriously humid out there!!

The weather had threatened to rain all day but didn't really start till we were headed home. And boy did it rain!!!! Sheesh! I was going no more than 30mph on a motorway and couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of me. Seriously uncomfortable driving!!! We made it home safe and sound though. Just as we pulled into Norfolk (where my grandparents live) Pap complemented my good driving skills ... just as I speed through a yellow light as it turned red. Guess he commented too soon :-\

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was interesting and enjoyable. I've been waiting a long time for that blog entry ;D

Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention in earlier comment that when your father and I were in the church we actually sat in the pew you photographed ;D We did not have time to tour the Govenor's Mansion, so your photos were really appreciated! I've got to find the picture my Dad took of me in front of the Govenor's Mansion to show you!

X O X O
Mom