Monday 12 October 2009

Grandma Sprouse



Betty Sprouse 26 April 1934 - 9 August 2009
This summer was filled with ups and downs and lessons to be learned. One lesson that hit me hard was how precious time and family really are and how often we forget it!

My mom's mom was the grandma that every child wants, a true stereo-typical fussing, doubting, accepting, loving grandma that gave you sweeties when your parents said no :-) She was a vibrant character that I had my clashes with but I loved her to bits! She loved me unconditionally, she accepted me for who I was and was proud of me - flaws and all. She was always excited to hear from me and glowed with love and pride when she saw me.

Just before I went to camp this summer, my mom called and said that she's had a fall and wasn't doing well. I called her in the hospital and we had a good chat about this and that and joked that if she wanted more attention from me she needed fall and go into hospital, all she needed to do was call me. That was the last time I got to speak to her. Soon after I went to camp she was put on a ventilator and went rapidly down hill. Oh how I wanted to get to her before she passed. What I'd give to be able to change my summer and go out and visit her.
I was so busy at work. I was so stressed with my life and my problems. I was too busy doing stuff. I know you shouldn't live with what ifs - the past is the past and it can't be changed. But it doesn't change the pain and regret from not having more time with her.
The weekend she passed was hard for me in England being away from my family and trying to get enough work done so that I could make it to California for her memorial service. I do feel fortunate to have gone to California for a few days and spend the time with my family. I learned a lot about Grandma during those few days. I learned that a lot of my childhood memories came from experiences my mom had with her mom that she passed to my sister and I. I learned that a lot of the silly qualities in my mom that I tease her about (but secretly admire) she learned from her mother. I also learned that I'm not the only mischievous lady in my family ... I get it from my grandmother :-)
I'm SO very thankful that I was able to spend last Christmas with my grandma and family. I will cherish those memories forever. I am a very lucky person to have had my grandma in my life! I miss her everyday.

Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post.

Mom