Thursday 2 October 2008

The Shed Fiasco, Part Deux

Anyone remember the handy work I did on my shed back in February? Click here if you'd like to remind yourself of the fun. Well, you might NOT be surprised to hear that a bit of craft glue, brown packing tape and cling film didn't last the test of time.

On to ROUND 2:

I noticed a few weeks ago that water was going into the shed. So last Sunday after church I stopped by a DIY shop to get some duck tape - "that's better than brown tape" I think to myself - "It'll do the trick". In I go to DIY shop and can't find the tape, so ask a shop assistant who kindly showed me where it was. While I had his attention I explained my shed dilemma and asked him if there was a glue type stuff that would fix it, he suggested No More Nails, gave me the bottle and I happily skipped to the til to pay (ok, maybe I didn't skip but I was feeling successful in my DIY store outing). While I was waiting to pay I noticed the bottle wasn't a squeezey bottle, but need a gun-type-thingy-ma-doodle. You know, one of these:

So out of the queue to find the shop assistant man and this was the conversation.
Me: This bottle doesn't squeeze
Shop Assistant Man: Don't you have a gun?
Me: I'm a girl. Why would I have a gun?!
Shop Assistant Man: [chuckles] I'll show you where the guns are. [chuckles again] "I'm a girl" That's made my day." [more chuckling]

I did say it to be humorous, but let's be honest here - I AM a girl, why would I have a gun-type-thingy-ma-doodle at home?!!



So this was the state of the shed lid when I started.

Had to scrape all the nasty rotten-ness off it, then started gluing. Notice I have no protective gear on, so glue that permanently sticks you together ended up all over my hands.
Step 3: Duck tape over the glue while it dries
The finished product - vwa'la!
Remember the comment about having glue on my hands - well this stuff doesn't want to come off - AT ALL! Luckily it takes 24 hours to set, so I did glue my hands together. I washed my hands and washed them again and again, but glue didn't budge - I even used soap!!! Had thought that I could use white spirit ( I've used this in past to remove something - who knows what...after all, I am a girl :-) and knew I had some with my paint. Well, I thought I had some, turned out it was turpentine, flatmate assured me it was the same stuff so off I go to clean my hands with turpentine. Worked a treat - but left my hands reeking!!! So I wash my hands with soap - three times. They still stunk! What to do?! In my head pops my aunt Gail. When I was younger she got sprayed by a skunk and she smooshed a few dozen tomatoes on herself, saying it helped with the smell (if memory servers she still stunk, but maybe not as much).
I didn't have any fresh tomatoes, but I did have a tin of tomatoes to play with - it was actually pretty fun to smoosh tomatoes on my hands - kinds of gooey and yucky, but cool all the same. I love the kid side of me :-)

And what do you know - tomatoes got rid of the smell!! Thanks Aunt Gail! See I was paying attention and learning when I was a kid!

One week and 4 days later - it's still water proof!

0 comments: